Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Job Offer

I received a call the other day that will change my life. I was at work like any other day and the phone rings, I answer it, and the man asks “do you have a second to talk” I say sure at this point I already know its not an Engineer, Architect or Client, and I have a sneaky suspicion of who it might be. The man says “ I have a client that is looking to fill a couple of positions and you were highly recommended. For the right person the money is wide open.” In the past I have received these calls and immediately hung up, but this time for some reason I listened to what he had to offer. He asked me if I might be interested in one of these positions or if I could recommend somebody who would be. I hesitated a bit, Maybe it was my girlfriend who was sitting near me (I am lucky enough to work in the same office as her) and I was probably trying to show off a little in front of her, maybe it was the fact that I am making less money this year then last, or maybe I was just looking for a little something to stir things up. Probably a little of everything. Anyhow I don’t quite remember what happened after that and the next thing I know I have an interview in two days!
So I go to meet the guy on Saturday and now it turns out that I am in a position to make a lot more money. But unfortunately its not quite that simple. There are many trade offs that make this offer somewhat less appealing. 30 min commute, less girlfriend time, not as cutting edge software oriented ( although that would be part of my job I hope), more conservative, possible longer work hours ( I had a nightmare in which everyone in the office worked until 6:30 ahhhh can you imagine) more conservative work and work environment. It is also possible that this is all my own anxiety about change.
My current job is great I get to travel all around the country, I get a lot of design freedom or so I think, No demanding work hours, laidback liberal office in the middle of all the action, parties and art shows. This is the only job I have had outside of college and I have only been working for about two years, I still have about two years until I am licensed, I mean what do I know. So here I am about to make a decision and I don’t know what to do, In one hand I have A LOT OF MONEY that I could defiantly use, along with a new experience that could be good or bad. In the other hand I have a great firm with great people and I am comfortable there.
Humph I don’t know…

1 comment:

CFN said...

Ahhhhhh, you have a blog!!! You! Have a blog!!

Good luck getting the joob situation all straightened out in your head. :)